«UAP» factory located in Colibasi, a suburb of the Romanian town Pitetsht was opened with the help of Renault concern in August 20, 1968. It manufactured licensed Renault cars under the brand name of «Dacia».
Initially, the factory produced no more than 1100 cars a year - Renault 8 replicas. According to the license, all production was only the assembly of bodies shipped from France, testing, acceptance of spare parts and sale of finished products.
No change of the original was allowed. Such were the conditions of the contract.
The car owes its name to the ancient name of Romania – Dacia. Since 1998 the company is a part of the Renault concern as a subsidiary.
Dacia now produces about 100,000 cars and 25,000 pickups per year.